What a predictable post.
I’m going to turn 30 this year.
In nine months, actually.
What did I used to think I ‘had to’ have done before I was 30? When I was a teenager (middle, above!!) I bored anyone who would listen that I wanted to be married and have had my first kid before I was thirty. That ended up happening, didn’t it??? That’ll teach me…
I wanted to have climbed the Inca Trail. I wanted to learn Italian. I wanted to be creative in my work. I wanted to smile alot.
It’s going well so far…
I want to go white-water rafting. I want to go to a festival (currently lusting after Latitudes). I want to go to the Pacific Islands and watch fabric being dyed. I want to be much less dependent on the internet.
I’ve been mooching around various ‘Things to do before you’re 30’ lists and have come up with my own that I would like to try to do before September 12, 2011…
NB: If I were without child and/or utterly minted, this list would be much more geographically broad and include much more extravagance… As it is, these are more ‘things that may make me a better person’ rather than ‘things that will make me bankrupt’
- Go to one restaurant a month that I’ve never been to before
- Eat 5 foodstuffs I’ve never tried before
- Bake bread. Actual bread. Not just yeast-assisted cakes
- Knit something in Fair Isle/stranded colourwork or a complicated lace shawl
- Give handmade presents this year (I’ve given myself a loophole in case I run out of time to make every present myself) – and make them GOOD THINGS that are wanted and liked and appropriate and… and… and…
- Listen to 10 albums by artists I’ve not listened to before (suggestions welcome)
- Write a letter for Tilly to open when she’s 18
- Write a letter to myself to open when I’m 60
- Read three ‘classic’ books I haven’t read before
- Drink only water for one month this is going to be HARD – tea… wine??
- Don’t complain about anything for a week
- Go completely ‘unchained’ for a month (ie no shopping at any chainstores for food, clothes, etc)
- Unplug for a whole weekend (no phone, Internet, television etc.)
- See 10 ‘classic’ movies I’ve never seen
- Workout for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, for 4 weeks
- Write a list of 101 things I’ve already achieved in this lifetime
- Write a list of 50 things I like about myself
- Write 5 letters to 5 people who changed my life
- Sleep in a tent, outside, with my husband and my daughter
- Make £100 from my crafting in one calendar month
- See 9 performances featuring my friends (acting, singing, dancing etc) – professional or amateur
- Help organise a street party for the Royal Wedding
- Help organise a Big Lunch party for local families
- Go a week without spending any money bar Tilly essentials – diapers etc
- Grow a plant in this house that does not die within four weeks of ownership
- Have a ‘no rubbish’ week
- Don’t swear for a week this is going to be bloody difficult – geddit???
- Take part in three craft swaps – the two last year were BRILLIANT and they made me so happy!
- Put aside £10 for every I task I complete to buy myself a fabulous birthday present
- Donate £10 to charity for every task I don’t complete